View related topics

Enforcement Actions

In a society that increasingly strives to be gender-neutral, the very term "child visitation" seems like an anachronism. After all, it implies that only one parent — probably the mom — will have custody of the kids after a couple breaks up.

That is not the society we live in today. But if you are a parent concerned about getting proper parenting time with your minor children, you still need to protect your rights and interests in the legal arena.

At Meador & Johnson, P.A. our attorneys can help you take proactive steps to make sure you don't lose out on the time with your kids that the law allows — and that is so meaningful to both parent and child on an emotional level.

We have the up-to-date knowledge of Florida law and practical experience to guide you toward a time-sharing arrangement with the other parent that makes sense for your situation. From our offices in Pensacola, we serve clients throughout northwest Florida.

Were You Married To The Other Parent?

If you and the other parent were married, a parenting plan will be part of your divorce terms when those terms are finalized by the court. Those terms will also include child support and other arrangements.

But even if you and the other parent were never married, a plan for sharing custody may be part of the order. This will require filing a petition with the court to establish paternity, setting up a schedule for sharing parenting time and addressing the issue of child support.

How Do You Enforce A Parenting Agreement?

Florida amended its child custody laws in 2008 to modernize the terminology regarding parental rights. The formal terms "child custody" and "visitation rights" were replaced by the more gender-neutral use of "time sharing" and the development of a "parenting plan."

If the other parent fails to comply with any aspect of a court-ordered parenting plan, our lawyers can take legal action to enforce the agreement. In addition to parenting time, we have helped clients enforce child support, spousal support and other court orders.

Many issues can arise that call for enforcement of a parenting agreement. For example, one parent may want to relocate beyond the immediate area — making it no longer logistically feasible to share parenting in the previous way.

We can help you work through these issues, seeking a solution that makes sense for you and your family.

Taking Action

Our lawyers provide aggressive, intelligent advocacy to clients throughout northwest Florida. Call 800-785-4969 or use our online contact form to schedule a consultation.