View related topics

What To Do When Relocation Orders Come

The relocation of a parent's job, whether civilian or military, can present unique child custody and parenting plan issues. Deployments and frequent relocations may impact your role as a parent. Speak with an attorney who understands the unique challenges for military families right away to develop a strategy.

The attorneys at Meador & Johnson, P.A. in Pensacola routinely help military parents resolve difficult issues that arise with deployment and relocation orders. The sooner you tell us about your situation, the sooner we'll be able to help you find a workable solution.

When Is Court Permission Required?

Florida law focuses on the child's best interests above all else. This does not change if a parent is in the military. As with civilian cases, a parent who wishes to relocate more than 50 miles with a child must file for permission from the court or get formal approval from the other parent.

A member of the military who receives orders to relocate is not relieved of his or her Florida child relocation obligations. He or she must still seek consent of the other party or go to court for a hearing on his or her relocation concerns.

In the case of temporary deployment, no permanent changes may be made to an existing parenting plan and time-sharing agreement. A temporary change may be made if it is in the child's best interests.

Following a final order in a military divorce, if a deployment will be 90 days or longer, the military parent can file for permission from the court to designate a family member as a caretaker or recipient of time-sharing rights. The designation must be made in writing and given to the other parent at least 10 days prior to deployment.

Protecting The Parental Relocation Rights Of Military Parents

Our lawyers are aggressive advocates who will fight to find a resolution that meets your goals. Call 850-483-0773, toll free 800-785-4969 or send us an email to schedule a consultation.